Tuesday, September 8, 2009

"Someone else needs it more than me."

After talking with Marcie today I realized that we should have posted this. We finally mailed Rebekah's hair. The story is really a neat one. Sometime in April - May, the other girls were going to get their hair cut really short, in preparation for the summer. At this point I was begging Rebekah to do the same, but she was determined to grow it out. After much talk and debate her hair remained long and only trimmed ( the other girls did get theirs cut short). Anyway, a few weeks ago or so I came home and she wanted to cut her hair. She said it was because she felt "someone else needed her hair more than she did". It was sort of funny because my reaction was the opposite of earlier in the summer, I tried to convince her that cutting it was a bad idea. She remained very persistent over the next few days and of course I gave in, especially after I realized she was being such a great example to me and others of service and selflessness. What an example she is to me of compassion and concern at age 10, I guess I should be doing the teaching....not this time. Her kindness will not only help those struggling with breast cancer, but it has already taught me some important lessons.
She had this done at GreatClips at no cost. We donated to Pantene Beautiful Lengths. She thought it would only be about 8", but it was really closer to 12"






We are all really proud of you Rebekah. Thanks for being an example.



5 comments:

Kristen said...

I LOVE her new haircut. She's a great girl! I love that she still says hi to me every Sunday even though I'm not her teacher anymore.

Renee said...

WIN WIN. She's beautiful, inside and out!

Unknown said...

Tell her that she made my day! What a great story and example. And I noticed her haircut on Sunday and thought she looked super cute!

Mia said...

What a wonderful thing for Rebekah to do! I have donated my hair three times and it was always an emotional thing for me to do. She is an amazing little lady. I'm very proud of her!

palmtreelover said...

I think that hair donation is the most wonderful thing that has come about in these modern times.
Not having hair is devestating for any female young or old to have to go through. Kudos to Rebekah!